Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Recovery
Ahh, I feel so much better today. Nothing beats having 3 days of holiday a week. I really love my timetable, it's so relaxing and allows much freedom in one's life. I heard in Singapore, the universities require you to take 5 subjects for credits, whereas I'm only taking 4 subjects here. Furthermore, NUS needs it's students to take subjects like SS and other subjects from other faculties, sort of some cross-fac thingy so that the student doesn't appear to be of a narrow mind. That's the Singapore education system for you.
I'm so grateful that I've got a great demonstrator for a Chemistry pracs. He's such a nice person. Even though, I tend to bug him often, he doesn't mind and always comes over to ask if I require any additional help. Haha, but when I left my sample of Asprin crystals in some machine that we were supposed to use to determine the melting point, he threw my sample away! Haha, Thank God he gave me the easy way out by simply telling me the required range for the Asprin crystals.
The discomfort I'm going through seems rather familiar. Last week at centrepoint? The real challenge of one's determination to see through to the end. I remember the elation of finally being free from the tedious job that I had, not having to endure the brunt of the various misunderstandings between the customers and the management. However, it was thanks to that job that I finally concluded that I'm not meant to be in customer service. Maybe, it was just in Singapore that people could be so horrible. Hopefully, I wouldn't see the same over here.
Thinking about my job makes me reflect upon the period on which I spent the last 2 years of my life. I really have gone through much and I would really love to share with you guys the joys and sadness that I've experienced.
Since I'm practicing the faith, I feel that God has really put me through several different trials and tribulations. In the Army, Ninja, Echo, Recce and finally 40SAR. Even after Army, I wasn't spared. Both of us, me and kangtai, agreed that the job at centrepoint was really a test for of our mental endurance. It was non-stop, never a moment of rest for me. Not one phase was there to give me rest. Sometimes, I really cursed my own luck, that I must have done something wrong in my previous life to deserve the sort of treatment I'm getting. I cursed my platoon mates for being slow. I lashed out at people who never knew what I'm going through and couldn't show any empathy for me. All around me, I see my friends in 'luxury' posts. BMT, Medic, Engineer(who gets the same pay as me), Police and Storeman. None. No one was there to be in the same situation as I was.
I just couldn't comprehend anything at that moment of time. I fell prey to my physical pains and my own mental weakness. It wasn't just army but my own family obligations which gave me pain sometimes. I felt the injustice of it all. I've suffered enough at the hands of my own platoon-mates but to head home and suffer the same thing was really bringing me to the edge.
So, 2 years.
The experience was not enjoyable but I thank God in giving me the experience that no one else was able to experience. Perhaps, God was preparing me for the future and wanted me to acquire the necessary nerves of steel and confidence in order to face the uncertain future. I believe that applies to my current situation in Australia as no one is here to help you. You have to find ways and means to network and obtain the means to solve your problem.
I hoped that I have turned out a better person. It is my ultimate wish that through me, others will also experience the same joy and happiness that comes along when we've come to terms with ourselves.
The world is an unhappy one but hopefully we can start to change it bit by bit.
Â