Monday, January 22, 2007
Aim
I've been reading these couple of days. The title of the book is 'Master Your Mind, Design Your Destiny', authored by Adam Khoo and on a 1 year loan from Minghan. The book introduces the concept of NLP(Neuro-Linguistic Programming) in producing the results you desire. However, what struck me the most wasn't the amazing life stories or the different characteristics one would have to employ to utilize NLP, rather it was a mere simple statement.
'What is Your Aim?'
What is my aim indeed.
I pondered and reflected, realizing that I have never once given any thought to my future. As a child I never had any ambition, only the ambition of my parents. As I grew up, I conformed, giving in to the demands of any demanding Singaporean parent.
Typical.
Growing up, I remember watching shows that encouraged individuals to challenge and tempt their fate by following
their heart's desire. Where's that spirit now? I can hardly catch a glimpse of it in Singapore.
It's always been 'study this, why?, because it's good for you'. I think to myself and wonder if that's what parents would like out of their children? Blindly following the system because society demands it so. Are parents happy when their kids graduate with a degree they deem fit or happy when their kids finally realize their life's ambition and have set aside everything to pursue their dream, whether it's in arts or music?
I guess i'll never know until I become a parent myself.
Having no ambition, I feel as if my desire to take Science as a degree would feel somewhat akin to a traditional chinese bride being wed off to some unknown guy, where love develops after marriage.
Whew.
Anyway, enrollment day is tomorrow. Time to see the campus for the first time.
Â